Monday, September 19, 2011

Sticks and Stones...

Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words may never hurt me?



That is the single most stupid thing I have ever heard. Are you kidding me? Words have the power to wound you so badly that the scars never leave you, you can hear the words, or the taunts in the back of your mind 30 years later.

I was not bullied or anything like that, but I believe that words have defined my body image for the last 30 years. Oddly the person that said them was some insignificant boy that liked my sister in 8th grade and I was in 7th.  When a girl is young and impressionable words mean a lot.


If I close my eyes I can see myself outside of my mothers house, my sister was there with said boy and we were talking and for whatever reason I walked away, and as I did, I heard him say..."your sisters butt is so big, she waddles like a duck." Let me reiterate, I was in the 7th grade, I cannot remember how old I was, but I was a tween, hardly finished growing and when I see photos from that time I was not fat, did not have a big butt or anything like that.


Now maybe that doesn't sound bad to you but my young impressionable mind could not believe my ears, I had a big ass! From that day forward until just recently every single time I have tried on an article of clothing I heard this as I looked in the mirror. I do not like to wear jeans or pants because of it. Needless to say I have not embraced my inner Kardashian, but as I age I have accepted myself for what I am and I do not let it affect me as I use too, but I will not lie, I still hear it in my mind, 30 years later.


Is there an incident in your life that has affected you to the point where years later it still haunts you? Were you bullied? Did you bully someone and wonder later in life how it affected them?

Look in the mirror, really look and see all of the wonder and beauty that God has created in you!

Whatever your inner taunts and demons are, remember you are the fairest of them all.


1 comment:

  1. I agree, I will take a stick or stone anyday. Words can cut deep and scar. Doing much work to heal those scars better. Let's call it Moderma work. Haha...you know the skin cream to heal scars. I read you like Moderma. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.